Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Retail Problem #1

Welcome to a blog which looks into the life of a retail worker described from the perspective of a former retail worker now part time shopper.  Of course every job comes with its own set of problems, but retail is unique in its own way. I started working in retail when I was 21 and continued with the job for a year. Although it was a fun job it came with its setbacks. The purpose of this blog is not to bash working in retail but rather to educate fellow shoppers on how it feels to be on the other side of the register. I had taken up working in retail as a part time job just so I could have a little extra cash. But I would've never guessed back then how much that decision would impact me.

I still remember my first day. I came dressed to impress but I should've suited up more for the day I was about to have. Like a deer caught in headlights I was unprepared for the crash that would occur once I entered the retail world. Keeping a constant smile on my face and answering whatever question I was asked (no matter how dumb it would be) with that same smile were the essential parts of my job. From that first day I experienced some of the frustrations that comes along with retail. For instance,  as retail workers we are all asked to wear a name tag which is part of our uniform and which also indicates that you work there, yet many shoppers seem to be unaware of the purpose of this object. On my first day many people walked up to me asking me "do you work here?" I looked back at some of them with amazement. I thought to myself why would I be wearing a name tag if I didn't work here. Then I started to think maybe I'm wearing the name tag wrong, or maybe just maybe my name tag was invisible. Of course the last one is not plausible at all. But i thought there must be some explanation as to why people had to ask me such a ridiculous question. This is retail problem #1. I'm not sure but I believe that fellow retail workers will agree that this is a very frustrating part of the job. You believe people have common sense, but this problem shows that there might be some out there who are not the brightest crayons in the box. Maybe there is a secret club of people who go around to different retail stores wearing name tags but not actually working there, who knows. But until I encounter such a group of bizarre people, dear shoppers please understand that if I'm wearing a name tag, then clearly I must work here. Now in defense some may say, well maybe they didn't see the name tag. I would believe that if name tags blended in with shirts, but usually they don't. For example Forever 21 has bright yellow name tags while H&M has bright red. Either way they cannot be missed. Therefore it is up to the shopper to just simply use his or her eyes, those God-given tools which we all have. I mean that in the nicest way possible.

4 comments:

  1. Janelle,
    Hello! Nice to meet you :)
    I love your topic (hysterical!) and certainly one a lot of people can relate to. Though to be constructive I think it would be easier to read if you broke the text up in paragraphs. I think your points would be better addressed and easier for someone not in retail to relate to.

    For what it's worth - people often ask me if I work in a store - and I'm generally covered in flour and chocolate (LOL!) so I have no idea where they think I might work or why I might be able to help them.

    Best to you!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry: "broke the text up *into* paragraphs" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janelle,
    This is a such a post about the kinds of things retail workers have to put up with. I’m wondering if you’d give me permission to repost it on WorkersWrite, a website I edit that showcases the stories workers tell about their working lives. Of course, we would credit you, and link back to your site. Please let me know if that would be okay. Thank you!
    Sincerely,
    Rose Imperato
    Editor, WorkersWrite
    workerswrite@gmail.com
    https://workerstories.org/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, I left out a word. I meant, This is such a GREAT post...

    ReplyDelete